Sunday, July 3, 2016

To Hear A Mockingbird

When we first moved into our house, there was a bird that would sit at the top of the utility pole right outside our backyard and sing all day. The fascinating thing was that he sang all different songs - one right after the other. I was just about to ask my coworker what kind of bird sings all different bird songs when I realized I was being an idiot, it's a mockingbird! I remember my mother actually saying that she was about to ask if I had some sort of a recording playing, before she realized it had to be a mockingbird. Hey, we were from Queens - what did we know about mockingbirds!?

That bird blessed that utility pole for the first three years and then suddenly was gone. I felt so sad and missed the constant songs. I kept hoping another mockingbird would decide that pole was the best place to go through his repertoire. I saw mockingbirds flying around the neighborhood, heard them occasionally in the distance, but until a few weeks ago none were close enough to really enjoy. Finally, one has decided to set up his studio nearby. He's not on our utility pole, in fact I'm not sure where he is, but he is close enough that I can enjoy his singing most of the day. It makes me smile.

While I've been listening to the mockingbird, I've been plugging away at The 12 Days of Christmas. Had another week that did not result in as much progress as I had hoped, but I did make progress. I finally finished the tenth day on Tuesday night. I didn't have time to get a picture when I removed it from the Q Snap, so I can't show the completion of Day 10, but here is where I got to on Day 11 so far.



Since the plan for the rest of the long weekend is sitting in the backyard (listening to the birds) and relaxing, I'm hoping to be near the end of the eleventh day by the end of the weekend. And I am just going to keep plugging away at it until done. Time to get this project from the WIP list to the 2016 Finish list.

Thanks for visiting. Please consider leaving a comment. Always enjoy hearing from you.

3 comments:

  1. I'm sure it won't be much longer before this is complete, it looks a lovely piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work on your 12 Days. I am sure the musical accompaniment helps too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice progress on 12 Days. I love hearing the birds singing outside my windows.

    ReplyDelete